Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Try to Remember

In the early 1970's, nostalgia suddenly became big business (not coincidentally, the concept of "camp" broke through the mainstream at the same time); big enough, in fact, that several decades past their heyday, even second-tier goddesses like Joan Blondell and Paulette Goddard were still considered famous enough to earn First Name Only status on the cover of Life.



What's so sad is that, even in today's retro-obsessed culture, where every lame duck television show is recycled into a multi-million-dollar flop motion picture, not a single modern-day youngster could name even one of these stars.

"Ruby who?!"

5 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly..... We're a dying breed (those who worship and adore the stars of the past.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, LUVS me some Betty Hutton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you get right down to it, it's Myrna Loy's world; we just live in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the hardest, meanest, truest, and most deserving bitch slap of today's pop culture I've ever seen in print.

    Reminds me of an encounter I had once where an empty-headed queen tried to tell me that Pearl Bailey sang backup for 80s group Expose'.

    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete