Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Goodnight, Mel



Mel Ferrer died today, age 90. Although he had considerable success as an actor (most famously in the 1953 musical, Lili, with Leslie Caron), he's probably best-remembered today as Audrey Hepburn's ex-husband. He co-starred with her (1956's War and Peace) and directed her in the classic 1967 thriller, Wait Until Dark. Two other notable Ferrer-starring films: the overbloated, but lush-looking The Sun Also Rises (1957) and the cult nuclear flick, The World, The Flesh and The Devil (1959), in which Mel and Harry Belafonte duke it out over luscious Inger Stevens, the last woman on earth.

As evidenced by this handsome portrait, Mel was quite good-looking in his youth, but he always struck me as slightly creepy-looking; anyone else think he's sort of a precursor to Marc Anthony?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I don't know. I always found him very attractive....not "sexy" and not necessarily even "handsome" but definitely attractive.
    (none of those adjectives would I ever consider for Mr. Lopez)

    I'm sad for his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as I always say, if it's good enough for Audrey...

    Their son, Sean Ferrer, has done a beautiful job in preserving Audrey's legacy. I'm sad that he's lost his father, as well.

    ReplyDelete