Saturday, February 28, 2009

Song of Bernadette



Bernadette Peters
February 28, 1943

We admit it: we're not very fond of Bernadette. We walked out of her Annie Get Your Gun during intermission, and were tempted to do the same thing during Gypsy. Her voice does nothing for us (except on her fabulous, 1965 pseudo-Lesley Gore 45, "We'll Start the Party Again"). But she is undeniably a Broadway legend, so due respect must be accorded. And, it must be said, on the few occasions that we've seen her up close and personal -- including an evening at Cafe Luxembourg when we were seated so close together, we were practically sharing the same dinner -- she radiates Star Power. A shame we've never felt the same sparks when we've seen her on stage; but we will end this on a positive note: her skin is absolutely flawless. And trust us, we were examining it closely at Luxembourg.

Visit her official website here.

4 comments:

  1. I never cared much about her or for her either, but she did a show near me for charity a year or two back and was radiant and entertaining (and very accomodating to fans afterwards, albeit at a planned reception.) This has helped me appreciate her more. My favorite moment in her career is her role as the receptionist in "The Longest Yard." I've just never seen hair like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive my tardiness, but having just found this blog (and it is EVERYTHING I've EVER looked for from a computer) I'm working my way backwards through the posts.

    Now, on to the Bernadette at hand, are we forgetting her revelatory turn as Tammy Faye Bakker in the TV mini-series? Well she just about knocked it out of the park. For that alone, she has earned a very special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Jim and Tammy really need ya!"

    Welcome, Felix! And I'm thrilled that SSUWAT has fulfilled your cyber needs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're all missing a trick. She is one of the best singers of all time, and her Broadway turns have been without equal, in my book.

    ReplyDelete