Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mystery Woman


Every now and then, we make a gaffe, despite our reverence for, and fair knowledge of, the personalities of stage, screen, and record whom we adore so. But what we absolutely love, is that you eagle-eyed readers can pick us up when we stumble: just knowing that someone who reads our humble little blog (once again, MC, who is pretty much Supreme Commander of the Homosexuals at the moment) can spot Priscilla Gillette (!) when we mistake her for an extremely young Kaye Ballard is a joy. Incidentally, Ms. Gillette not only appeared with Kaye Ballard in The Golden Apple, but also in a revival of The Little Foxes, and in Cole Porter's Out of This World, and has been described as an "outstanding vocal talent." We must explore further.

8 comments:

  1. I bow to you, adore you for being such a good sport, and thank the stars EVERY DAY for Stirred, Straight Up, With A Twist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If you don't own the original cast recording of OUT OF THIS WORLD, snap one up at once! It's one of the best ever, and Priscilla is scintillating on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MC -- You're a sweetheart! And I shall take your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MC does indeed have an eagle's eye and he's also right about the unfairly underrated Out of This World (you may've heard Portia Nelson's rendition of No Lover)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard Porsche's version. Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I KNEW I recognized her, but couldn't place her. I knew she was in musicals.
    And then I remembered! You are not going to believe this, but I SAW her in Brigadoon at the Shubert Theater in Chicago around 1948. I was an usherette, and the show was on tour.
    Great show too. I just never knew her name, or at least didn't remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS ~ and I DO have the original cast album of Out of This World too!
    By Jupiter, By Rex!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jiva -- How fabulous! And I think we need to reclaim the title "usherette." It just sounds so much snappier and more glamorous than simply "usher." And instead of the often surly, indifferent folks who do disservice to the industry, I imagine that ALL usherettes are perky, kitted out in crisply starched uniforms, and equipped with a Nancy Drew-style flashlight.

    ReplyDelete